[uylug-varios] On Richard Stallman and Ubuntu

Federico Kouyoumdjian fedekp at autistici.org
Sun Dec 9 07:23:24 PST 2012

Otro punto de vista:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/12/07/on-richard-stallman-and-ubuntu/

On Richard Stallman and Ubuntu

by jono on December 7, 2012 in Community, Desktop, Planet Ubuntu, Ubuntu

This is a personal post and does not neccessarily represent the views of
Canonical or the Ubuntu community.

Today Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU project and Free Software
Foundation wrote a critical post accusing Ubuntu of shipping spyware
(which is referring to the online search capabilities of the Ubuntu dash).

He goes on to suggest “in your Software Freedom Day events, in your
FLISOL events, don’t install or recommend Ubuntu. Instead, tell people
that Ubuntu is shunned for spying.“.

This is FUD.

When controvosies such as this kick off from time to time about
Canonical and/or Ubuntu, my approach has never been to try and convince
our critics that they are wrong. My goal is not to turn the unbelievers
into worshippers at the church of Ubuntu. My only goal has been to
ensure that everyone who participates in the debate trades in facts and
not in misinformation and FUD; there is enough misinformation and FUD on
the Internet without us all adding to it. :-)

If someone has an accurate set of facts and accurately respresents the
topic but is critical about the position…no problem. We can then engage
in respectful, accurate debate that will likely enrich all perspectives
and ultimately result in better software.

The goal of the dash in Ubuntu has always been to provide a central
place in which you can search and find things that are interesting and
relavent to you; it is designed to be at the center of your computing
experience. Now, this is a big goal, and we are only part-way along the
way to achieving it.

Today it is not perfect – we need to improve the accuracy of the
results, present the data more effectively, and continue to expand the
coverage and capabilities of the data in dash searches. With each new
release of Ubuntu we get awesome feedback from our community and users
and we strive to refine and iterate on all of these areas so that
subsequent releases offer a more and more compelling experience, freely
available and sharable for all.

Naturally, privacy is critically important to us in doing this work. In
the eight year history of Ubuntu and Canonical we have always put
privacy forward as a high priority across the many, many different
websites, services, and software that forms the Ubuntu platform and
community.

The challenge of course is that privacy is a deeply personal thing and
the way in which you define your privacy expectations will likely
radically differ from each of your friends, and vice-versa.

With this in mind, just because someone may have differing views to mine
on the implementation of privacy in software doesn’t mean they are
wrong. Likewise, just because my views may differ to theirs doesn’t mean
I am wrong. We are all different and we all manage our information and
our expectations around information sharing in different ways.

Just look at Facebook; the privacy debates there have been raging on for
years and have encompassed many different views and perspectives ranging
from “I want to control every detail of my privacy in Facebook” to “I
don’t care, if it is on the Internet, I don’t care who sees it”, and
everything in-between.

We want Ubuntu to be a safe, predictable, and pleasurable platform for
everyone, irrespective of their personal views on privacy, but we also
respect that there will be some folks who don’t feel we are doing enough
to represent their particular personal privacy needs.

When we implemented the Amazon search results feature we didn’t get it
100% right with the first cut in the development release of Ubuntu, but
that is how we build Ubuntu; we add software to our development branch
and iterate on it in response to feedback and bugs. We did exactly this
with these functional and privacy concerns…responding and implementing
many of the requirements our community felt were important. We will
continue to make these improvements in the future in much the same way.

Now, some of you may share Richard’s concerns over some aspects of this
feature, and as I mentioned earlier, I am not here to convince you
otherwise. Richard has every right to share his views on privacy, and
who am I to tell him or you that he is/you are wrong?

What concerns me more is the FUD in his post. Statements such as:

     In your Software Freedom Day events, in your FLISOL events, don’t
install or recommend Ubuntu. Instead, tell people that Ubuntu is shunned
for spying.

…and

     Any excuse Canonical offers is inadequate; even if it used all the
money it gets from Amazon to develop free software, that can hardly
overcome what free software will lose if it ceases to offer an effective
way to avoid abuse of the users.

These statements simply generate fear, uncertainty, and doubt about
Ubuntu; a project that has a long history of bringing Free Software to
millions of users around the world with an open community and governance.

But then again, this is not particularly surprising from Richard.

I have tremendous respect for Richard and his fantastic work in laying
the foundations for the Free Software and Open Source world that we have
today, but I think he is short-sighted at times. His views on software
projects are pretty binary: either a strict set of ethics (defined by
him) are observed, or it should be shunned.

The challenge here is that freedom is also a deeply personal thing.

I believe that freedom is far more than simply freedom of source code or
a specific policy around privacy. When I got involved in the Free
Software community 14 years ago my passion from then onwards was not
driven by creating awesome Free Software code, it was more about
creating awesome Free Software experiences that open up technology,
education, creativity and collaboration to everyone. Free Software code
is simply one mechanic in how we deliver these experiences; it is not
the be all and end all of what we do.

A completely free set of source code that implements a system that is
difficult to use, lacks the features that users want, is not competitive
with proprietary competitors, and/or does not offer a desirable and
delightful experience is not going to bring Free Software to the wider
world. It may bring Free Software to a passionate collection of
enthusiasts (as we saw back in the early days of Linux), but in my mind
true freedom is software that is not just available to all but usable by
all, even those who are not enthusiasts.

Just look at the success of Apple. General consumers have voted with
their feet, and people want beautiful, desirable products that let them
do useful and fun things with their friends, families and colleagues.
There is absolutely no reason why we can’t achieve this with Free Software.

In Ubuntu we want to build a platform that is even more beautiful,
elegant and delightful than Apple, but is infused with the Free Software
values that empower that technology, education, creativity and
collaboration in everyone.

But unfortunately, as far as Richard is concerned, if Ubuntu doesn’t
meet his specific requirements around privacy or Free Software,
irrespective that it has brought Free Software to millions of users and
thousands of organizations, and despite the fact that you might not
share his viewpoint, you should shun it.

This just seems a bit childish to me.

Let’s turn the tables around. Do I agree with everything the Free
Software Foundation does? Not at all, but I do think their general body
of work is fantastic, worthwhile, and provides an important and valuable
service, and I would never want to suggest you should boycott them if
you disagree with one part of what they do. Quite the opposite, I would
encourage you to see their website, donate, and consider joining them as
they provide a valuable piece of the wider Free Software ecosystem, in
much the same way Ubuntu provides another piece. Let’s work together,
not against each other.